Saturday, August 25, 2012

Melbourne University Cultural Treasures - Part 1, Zoology

In conjunction with the Melbourne Open House program, various collections at Melbourne University were open to the public as part of their Cultural Treasures Festival. I made a bee line for the Zoology collection, checked out the BioMed library, and finished in the Pathology and Anatomy Collection (no photographs allowed out of respect for the humans who donated their bodies to science, and thus these collections).

I took photos of specimens which helped me identify some in my own collection, as well as the most weird and cute - yes even a dead thing can be cute.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Mammalian foetuses are bitter sweet and peaceful. Photographing on a mobile phone through two layers of glass presents a challenge, in the case of pickled specimens so I couldn't capture all of my favourites.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: