Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Modern Utopia by H.G. Wells

If you have enjoying Wells' other works you may well find this to be a disappointment. An especially inappropriate book to introduce a H.G. curious, new reader. Wells is a fine novelist but A Modern Utopia is an essay/novel hybrid which doesn't work. Wells often introduces his books with great humility and self deprecation. I've learnt to take that with a pinch of salt because I have seldom found his works wanting. However in this case it's justified. I tried to finish it, resorting to skimming but it was still too much effort for what little reward I received. He should have written an essay without a narrative - at least then the unfortunate sci-fi reader would know that they are not in for an adventure. For the philosophical reader who is stimulated by theories about what might make a modern Utopia this could be a very interesting book. I am the aformentioned reader.

No comments: